Adding and updating your music library
Sonos makes it easy to stream your music library from any computer or network-attached storage (NAS) device on your network throughout your home. Add your music from up to 16 different computers in a matter of minutes.
While it’s possible to add your music library using a mobile controller, it’s best to use a Mac or Windows computer as it will automatically adjust the necessary settings. The following instructions apply to the Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC.
Before you begin, make sure you download the Sonos Desktop Controller App for Mac or PC and install it on the computer that contains your music library files.
Please note that the Sonos music library is limited to 65,000 total tracks. If you have more than 65,000 tracks, we recommend looking into alternate methods for sharing your library to Sonos, such as Plex or Apple Music (with iTunes Match).
Adding your music library using a desktop controller
– From the “Manage” menu, select “Music Library Settings”.
– Click + (plus) on a Mac, or “Add” if you are using a PC.
– If you use iTunes or are not sure where your music is stored, leave “In My Music folder” selected. If your music is located outside of the My Music folder, select the appropriate option.
– Type in your computer’s password if prompted and follow the on-screen instructions to complete adding your music library. Depending on the size of your music library it may take up to 15 minutes to index.
Updating the music library index
Whenever you make changes to your music library, such as adding and removing tracks, creating new playlists, or adjusting album artwork, you will need to update the music index on Sonos before these changes will show up in the Sonos controller.
– On iOS or Android: From the More tab, select Settings > Manage Music Library > Update Music Index Now and tap Scan Now
– For Mac or PC: Click Manage > Update Music Library Now and select Yes to confirm
Updating the music index may take several minutes to complete.
Scheduling automatic music library index updates
If you make changes to your music library often, you can schedule automatic music index updates. Once setup, Sonos will scan your library for changes once a day at a time you specify.
– On iOS or Android: From the More tab, select Settings > Manage Music Library > Schedule Music Index Updates
– On Mac or PC: Click Manage > Music Library Settings > Advanced and check “Update content every day at.”
Select the desired time for the update to occur.
Please note your computer needs to be powered on at the specified time to successfully run the index update.