FAQs for Nest Aware
Is it free to watch live video from my Nest camera?
Yes, straight out of the box, you can view your Nest camera’s live video stream without ever purchasing a Nest Aware subscription. Also with your phone or tablet, you can see snapshots of what your camera saw when it detected motion or sound for up to 3 hours in the past.
How to use Sightline and event history to watch your camera’s video:
When you hold your phone or tablet vertically in portrait mode, you’ll see the video stream at the top of the screen with the activity timeline and snapshots below.
You can see at a glance when events happened. If you’re a Nest Aware subscriber, you can use the timeline to look through all of your recorded video history. If you don’t have a subscription you won’t have any recorded video, but you can still see snapshots of events that happened in the past 3 hours.
If you want to save a video clip, create a time lapse, or download or share your video, see the following article: How to create, share and view video clips.
How to use the event history view:
Event history shows you an overview of what your camera has detected, like motion, sound, or doorbell rings, so that you can easily view what has happened at a glance. You’ll see a video snapshot, activity name, and time the event occurred.
– On the Nest app home screen, tap on your camera’s video preview or its icon. When you hold your phone vertically in portrait mode, you’ll see the video stream at the top of the screen and the Sightline view with the activity timeline and snapshots below.
– To switch from the Sightline view to event history view, tap the event history icon.
– To switch back to Sightline view, tap the Sightline icon.
If you only want to see certain events, you can set a filter:
– Tap the Filter icon to filter activity by motion, sound, and person.
– If you have a Nest Hello, you can also filter activity by doorbell ring. Nest Hello’s motion and sound alerts are off by default, but the event history view will still show the activity.
– If you have a Nest Aware subscription, you can also get activity zone, familiar face, and emergency events.
– Select the types of events you want to see.
– Tap Done.
– Wait a few seconds. There may be a short delay until events are filtered. If you want to create a video clip event, it’s easy to do in the event history view.
When you’re reviewing your video or event history, the microphone button will change to a Go
When you’re reviewing your video or event history, the microphone button will change to a Go live button. Tapping it will let you quickly switch to your camera’s live video stream.
Note: You’ll only see this button appear if you have a Nest Aware subscription and you’re watching video saved to your video history.
If you want to see more closeup detail, you can zoom in and out of your video at any time. Just pinch on the video with two fingers to zoom in or out. Move your fingers apart to zoom in, or move them together to zoom out. You can also drag your finger around the video screen to pan up, down, left and right.
If you want to make the video window bigger while in portrait mode, tap the down arrow on the bar at the bottom of the video window. Tap the arrow again to snap the video window back to its original size.
You can also change a setting to keep your camera zoomed-in all the time:
You can always zoom and enhance live video. When you enhance zoomed in live video, your camera focuses its 3-megapixel sensor on the area you’ve zoomed, improving video quality and showing you more detail. Your video history will also record all of the extra detail. Since the camera is focusing entirely on that spot, video history won’t record outside of the frame you’ve chosen until you zoom back out.
Digitally zoom your video history
You can always digitally zoom in when viewing video history (without enhancing). You won’t be able to enhance because we can’t go back in time and tell the camera to focus on that area.
How to zoom and enhance
It’s easy to zoom and enhance using your phone, tablet, or computer, but it works a little differently depending on which device you’re using.
|How to zoom and enhance on a phone or tablet
1. Select the camera you’d like to zoom and enhance. If you wish to enhance, make sure you’re viewing live video.
2. Use two fingers to pinch the video area. Move your fingers away from each other to zoom in. You can also tap your video twice, like double clicking a mouse, to zoom in.
3. Press and drag your video to pan around until you find the spot you want.
4. To enhance, press the enhance icon in the lower left. While zoomed, live streaming will be enhanced, and new video history recorded during the zoom will be enhanced.
|How to zoom and enhance on a computer1. Select the camera you’d like to zoom and enhance. If you wish to enhance, make sure you’re viewing live video.
2. Hover your mouse over the video to bring up the zoom slider on the left of the screen.
3. Move the slider up or click the magnifying glass with a “+” symbol at the top of the slider to zoom in.
4. Click and drag your video to pan around until you find the spot you want.
5. Click the Enhance button to enhance the zoomed in image. While zoomed, live streaming will be enhanced, and new video history recorded during the zoom will be enhanced.
How to zoom back out:
If you want to return to the normal view, on your phone or tablet, pinch the video area and move your fingers closer together to zoom out. On a computer, move the zoom slider down or click the magnifying glass with a “–” symbol at the bottom of the slider to zoom out.
You can also make the video bigger by turning your phone sideways for Landscape view. When you turn your phone sideways, the Activity track will be on the right of the screen timeline and snapshots will disappear while the controls will be overlaid on the video. Simply tap on the video to hide or show the controls.
If you have a Nest Aware subscription, you’ll be able to use the playback controls to review your video history. Playback controls are overlaid on top of the video. If you don’t see the playback icons, tap on the video to make them appear. Tap again to hide the controls.
These are useful to quickly skip forward or back a little when you’re reviewing an event.
– Tap the left arrow to quickly rewind 15 seconds.
– Tap the right arrow to fast forward 15 seconds.
Skip to a different day:
With a Nest Aware subscription, you can jump directly to a particular date to start watching your video history.
– Select the Calendar icon.
– You’ll see a date highlighted in blue – either today or a date in the past (if you’re already watching your video history). Tap the date you want to view. Unavailable dates will be greyed out.
– The video starts playing for the date you chose, at the same time you were viewing previously. Scroll up or down on your Sightline to go to a different time.
Can I review videos from my Nest camera without Nest Aware?
During the free trial period, you and other people who have shared access to your home can review your video history. However, if you don’t purchase a Nest Aware subscription when the trial ends, your camera will no longer record and store video to the cloud. Your video history will expire and be deleted as soon as the trial ends. Without a subscription for your camera, you’ll still get snapshots in your Sightline when your camera detects sound or motion (up to 3 hours into the past), but you will only be able to stream and view that camera’s live footage and any video clips that you’ve saved to your account in the Nest app.
How can I purchase a subscription to Nest Aware?
If you’re trying to purchase a subscription directly from Nest, you’ll only be able to do so if one or more of the following is true:
– You already have a camera without a Nest Aware subscription in your account. Visit Nest’s online store and sign in with your account email address and password to see your camera and add the subscription.
– You’re purchasing a camera in the Nest Store and adding a subscription to your cart at the same time.
You can’t purchase a Nest Aware subscription directly from Nest without associating it with a camera in your account. In addition, keep in mind:
– You must also be the Owner of the Nest home to purchase a subscription. You cannot buy a subscription if you have only been invited to share control of a Nest home.
– You also can only purchase Nest Aware subscriptions if your home’s address is within the store’s region. For instance, if you want to purchase a Nest Aware subscription from the UK store, then your Nest home must have an address in the UK.
– All Nest Aware subscriptions for a Nest home must be on the same billing cycle: monthly or annual. So if you already have a camera on an annual billing cycle, and you want to purchase a subscription for a second camera, you won’t see the monthly billing option. To change to a monthly billing cycle, you will first need to cancel your current annual subscription. Then you’ll be able to purchase monthly subscriptions for both cameras. Before you do this, keep in mind that cancelling a subscription will erase that camera’s video history, but saved clips will be preserved. Be sure to make clips of any video history that you want to keep before you cancel your subscription.