How to group rooms in the Sonos app
Using the Sonos app, you can group two or more speakers together so they play the same music in sync. This article covers how to group and ungroup speakers in a few simple steps.
Speakers that are grouped together will share the same queue of upcoming songs, and continue to play in sync with each other until you ungroup the speakers using the Sonos app.
Grouping rooms using the Sonos app for iOS or Android:
– Tap the Rooms tab.
– Tap Group and select the rooms you want to add and tap “Done.” If you want to group all the rooms, tap “Everywhere.”
– Choose which music to play in the selected rooms if prompted.
Grouping rooms using the Sonos app for Mac or PC:
– From the ROOMS pane on the left side of the controller, click “Group.”
– Select the rooms you want to add to this group, and then click “Done.” If you want to group all the rooms, click “Select All.”
– Choose which music to play in the selected rooms from the prompt.
How to ungroup rooms:
On iOS or Android:
– Tap the Rooms tab.
– Tap “Group” next to the group you want to change.
– Uncheck the room(s) you want to remove from the group and tap “Done.”
On Mac or PC:
– From the ROOMS pane on the left side of the controller, click “Group” next to the group you want to change.
– Uncheck the room(s) you want to remove from the group and click “Done.”
Adjusting the Volume of Grouped Rooms:
When two or more rooms are grouped together, dragging the volume slider left or right will automatically adjust the volume of all speakers in that group.
If you would like to adjust the volume on a particular speaker in the group, tap the volume slider once to view the volume of each individual speaker. Find the name of the speaker you’d like to adjust the volume for and drag the slider left or right to adjust its volume.
When a speaker is part of a group, tapping the physical volume buttons on the speaker will only adjust the volume of that particular speaker, not the entire group.
Additional grouping features:
Party Mode allows you to group all of the rooms in your home instantly. From the Rooms menu, tap “Group” next to the speaker that is playing the music you want to hear and tap “Everywhere.” Click “Done” to group all rooms.
Grouping speakers to a Playbar, Playbase, or Beam:
Broadcast your TV’s sound throughout your home by grouping in your Sonos speakers to your Playbar, Playbase, or Beam. You can’t achieve multi-channel surround sound by grouping other players to your Sonos home theater speaker, the grouped players will play stereo. To achieve surround sound, see our article: Setting up surround sound with Sonos home theater speakers
Move music to another room:
It’s possible to have the music follow you to another room by using the grouping feature. To move music from the Living Room to the Kitchen, do the following:
– Click on “Group” next to Living Room.
– Add in Kitchen, and uncheck Living Room.
– Click “Done” and the music will stop playing in Living Room, but continue playing in the Kitchen, right where you left off.
Group using player buttons:
Press and hold the Play/Pause button on a player to group it with the last active room.