How to use the Google Home App
The Google Home app helps you set up and control Chromecast (Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Audio, TV or speaker with Chromecast built-in), Google Home devices, and Google Assistant speakers. Plus, you can discover your favorite music, TV shows and videos to cast to your TVs and speakers.
Get the new Google Home app
Download or update the Google Home app from the Google Play Store.
Ways to use the Google Home app
You can use the Google Home app to:
– Set up Chromecast (Chromecast, Chromecast Ultra, Chromecast Audio, TV or speaker with Chromecast built-in) and Google Home devices.
– Manage your Google Assistant settings and preferences (Google Home only).
– Manage device settings.
– Browse TV shows, music, and movies.
The Discover tab is where you can learn about new features, queries, Chromecast-enabled apps, and offers for your devices. You can also see what’s playing on your devices.
– Setup – Shows a nearby device that’s ready to be set up.
The Browse tab is where you can:
– Find TV shows, movies, videos, and curated lists of albums and playlists personalized by your favorite apps, like Google Play Music and YouTube.
– See which compatible media apps you already have on your phone or tablet, and discover new apps to download.
– Search for great TV shows, movies, music, and more across a variety of Chromecast-enabled apps.
Devices – From Devices, you can:
– Set up Google Home, Chromecast, Chromecast Audio, Chromecast built-in devices.
– Control your Google Home, Chromecast, Chromecast Audio, Chromecast built-in devices, and the content you choose to cast.
– From device cards, play, pause, stop or change the volume from the device.
– Personalize device features. Go to the device card you want to personalize, tap the menu button in the top right corner, and select from there which feature you want to personalize
– Shelves and Services – Find content like music, TV shows, movies and more from your favorite services and apps.
– Chips – Quickly find what you’re in the mood to watch or listen to.
– Search – Search for great TV shows, movies, music, and more across a variety of Chromecast-enabled apps.
– Main tabs – The Discover tab and Browse tab.
Other app settings
The Menu drawer is found in the top left corner of the Google Home app’s home screen. From here you can set and manage your device settings.
Within Devices (found in the top right corner of the Home screen), you’ll find the following device cards to help you make the most out of your available Chromecast and Google Home devices.
Found New Device card:
Keep all your nearby devices organized with the Found New Device card. This card appears when it finds any new Chromecast or Google Home devices in the area. To set up the device, tap SET UP at the bottom of the device card. Not interested in setting up a device but want to keep it available for later? Tap IGNORE at the bottom of the device card.
Ready to Cast card:
This card shows a device that is set up and currently ready to start using.
||Active Device card:
This card shows a device that is set up and currently active. Here is where you will see what’s playing as well as control playback and volume.
Linked devices card:
This card shows devices linked to your account that turns on customization features, such as personalized backdrop, voice control and more.
||Ignored Device list:
Ignored devices aren’t gone for good! To get to nearby devices that you’ve previously ignored, scroll to the bottom of the Home screen, and tap IGNORED NEW DEVICES. Available devices will appear. Tap the device you’d like to set up.
You can change the settings for each of your devices.