Setting up guest mode for the Chromecast
Hosting a social gathering? Guest mode makes it easier for your friends to cast their favorite media to your Chromecast from a mobile device without connecting to your Wi-Fi network.
Step 1. Host sets up Guest mode
As the host, you can keep your Wi-Fi password private! Guests can cast from their mobile device as long as they are in the same room as the Chromecast.
– Your phone or tablet needs to be connected to the same Wi-Fi network as your Chromecast.
– Open the Google Home app .
– In the upper right corner of the home screen, tap Devices to see your available Chromecast devices.
– In the top right corner of the device you’d like to set up with guest mode, tap the device card menu Guest Mode.
– Turn on Guest mode .
Step 2. Guest connects to Guest mode
As the guest, you can cast content without being connected to the host’s Wi-Fi network. Note: You must be connected to the internet. This may be via a different Wi-Fi network or your mobile data connection.
– Open any Chromecast-enabled app and tap the Cast button .
– Select Nearby device and follow the prompts to connect.
– If audio pairing fails, you’ll need to enter the 4-digit PIN that your host provides. See the instructions below on where the host can find the PIN.
Where the host can find the Guest mode PIN
A 4-digit PIN is required for connecting to a Chromecast in guest mode. When a device nearby tries to connect, the Chromecast automatically transfers that PIN using short, inaudible audio tones. If the audio tone pairing fails, your guest will be given the option to connect manually by entering the 4-digit PIN.
Note: The PIN resets every 24 hours or each time the Chromecast is rebooted, whichever comes first.
You’ll find the 4-digit PIN in three places:
Hosts and guests using Guest mode can:
– set up (i.e. turn on or off) Guest mode on any mobile device that supports the Google Home app
The guest using guest mode can:
– cast content using Android 4.3+ on Google Home devices
– cast content using iOS8+
Note: Bluetooth must be turned on in order to cast content using Guest mode
Guest mode is an opt-in feature that you can choose to turn off any time from the Google Home device settings. You can access and manage (turn on or off) guest mode from the Google Home app on your Android device and iOS device.
Guest mode settings will be reset when you perform a Factory Data Reset (FDR) on your Google Home.