Troubleshooting creating a video clip from your video history
To successfully create clips, there are a few requirements to keep in mind:
– You need an active Nest Aware subscription.
– Clips need to be at least 15 seconds long.
– Clips can’t be longer than 1 hour. If your selection is longer than 1 hour, the Nest app will automatically switch it to a timelapse instead.
– You can make a timelapse of up to 24 hours of video.
– Your account in the Nest app can store 3 hours of video clips.
If you’re having trouble saving a clip, some of the reasons can be:
The clip is longer than your remaining clip storage space
If the clip you’re trying to create is longer than your remaining clip storage space, you may see a message “You can only have 3 hours of clips. You need to delete come clips before you can create new ones.” Check your storage usage:
– Sign in to home.nest.com on your computer.
– Select your camera.
– Tap Clips in the lower right corner of the screen.
– Select View clips.
In the top right corner of the screen, you’ll see how much clip storage you’re using. You can also check your usage while you’re saving a clip beside the Save button. You’ll have to make your clip shorter, or delete older clips to make room before you can save the new clip.
There’s a gap in your video history
You can’t create a clip that starts before and ends after a gap in your video history timeline. Gaps in your video history may occur because the camera was turned off, it was disconnected from your Wi-Fi network, or it had lost power.
When you try to create a clip, it will automatically end where the gap starts or automatically start where the gap ends.
If there’s a gap, create two clips: one that ends when the gap starts, and one that begins when the gap ends.
What to do if you see “Clip failed to upload. Retry.”
If you see this error message, it means that the Nest Aware service is having trouble creating your clip. Try moving the start and end times of your desired clip and create the clip again. Check the length of the clip and make sure that you have enough storage left. You can have up to three hours of clips – if you’re out of storage, try deleting some clips to make more room. Be sure to download any clips you want to save before deleting them.
Check your wireless connection
If you’re using a cellular connection that isn’t very strong, switch to Wi-Fi or wait for better reception.
Try switching browsers or devices, or restart
If you’re using a computer:
– Temporarily disable browser extensions, add-ons or settings.
– Try using a different web browser to sign into your account in the Nest app and create a clip.
– If you’re still having difficulty creating a clip, restart your computer.
– Switch to a phone or tablet and try creating a clip.
If you’re using a phone or tablet:
– Sign out of the Nest app and close it. Open the app, sign in again, and try creating a clip.
– Restart your phone or tablet, then try creating the clip again.
– Switch to a computer and sign into your account in the Nest app at home.nest.com. Then try creating a clip on your computer.