Using iOS 8 and Android 5.0 or greater, you have the ability to use your iOS or Android device as a dedicated Sonos controller in a few simple steps. With this feature enabled, the device will only display the Sonos App and will not allow the user to navigate outside the app unless a passcode is entered, or combination of buttons are pressed.
iOS Device as a Dedicated Sonos Controller:
On iOS this feature is called Guided Access. Follow the steps below to enable it:
– Tap Settings > General > Accessibility > Guided Access.
– Toggle Guided Access to On.
Using Guided Access with Sonos:
Once enabled, it is easy to start Guided Access for Sonos:
– Launch the Sonos app and tap the Home button 3 times.
– You can touch Start on the top right to begin Guided Access.
To end Guided Access on the Sonos app, tap the Home button 3 times and touch End on the upper left of the screen. For complete details on Apple’s Guided Access feature, please see the following article from Apple:
Use Guided Access with iPhone, iPad, and iPod touch
Android Device as a Dedicated Sonos Controller:
On Android this feature is known as Screen Pinning. This feature is available on Android 5.0 Lollipop and above. You can enable it using the steps listed below:
– From the Android Settings menu, go to Security > Screen Pinning.
– Toggle Screen Pinning to On.
Using Screen Pinning with the Sonos app:
With Screen Pinning enabled, you can quickly pin or unpin the Sonos app as you wish. To do this:
– Launch the Sonos app and tap the Overview button (this is the square button at the bottom of the screen).
– Slide the Sonos app up and touch the pin icon on the lower right. Tap Start to pin the Sonos app.
To unpin the Sonos app, tap and hold the Back and Overview buttons at the same time for several seconds. Release both buttons to unpin the Sonos app.
For additional details on Screen Pinning, please see the following article from Google:
Use screen pinning
|Please note: When in Guided Access or Pinned mode you will not be able to update the Sonos app if prompted. To update the app you must exit Guided Access or pinned mode to update the app.