Using AirPlay with Sonos
Use AirPlay 2 on your iPhone, iPad, or Mac to stream your favorite music, movies, podcasts and other audio directly to your Sonos speakers. Learn more about AirPlay: How to AirPlay audio
“How do I start AirPlay?”
– On your iPhone or iPad, swipe up from the bottom (top right if using iPhone X) of your screen to open Control Center.
– Press and hold the audio card in the upper-right corner, then tap .
– Tap a speaker or tap multiple Sonos speakers to stream the same audio across all of them with AirPlay.
You can also play AirPlay audio directly from some iOS apps, like Apple Music. Just open the app, tap , then choose a speaker.
If you are using a Mac, open iTunes and tap to choose a speaker.
“Why don’t I see all of my speakers?”
Not all Sonos speakers are AirPlay 2 compatible, so you may not see all of your Sonos speakers on your AirPlay list.
The following Sonos speakers are compatible with AirPlay 2:
– Sonos One
– Play:5 (second generation)
If one or more of the above speakers are not listed, make sure they are powered on and connected to your Sonos system. Sonos One and Play:5 speakers that are setup as surrounds will not be available for use with Airplay.
You can also group any other Sonos speaker with an AirPlay 2 compatible Sonos speaker for multi-room playback.
“Can I use Siri to control Sonos?”
Yes. Just add your Sonos speakers to the Home app, and they will be available to control using Siri on your iPhone or iPad. Please note that the only supported music service for Siri is Apple Music.
– Open the Apple Home app and tap “+” or Add Accessory.
– Choose “Don’t Have a Code or Can’t Scan?”
– Tap the speaker you want to add.
– Pick the same room name used in the Sonos app.
Things to try with Siri…
“Hey Siri, play some hip-hop in the kitchen”.
“Hey Siri, turn it up in the living room.”
“Hey Siri, play Beats 1 radio in the bedroom.”
Can I group rooms using Siri?
Yes. Just name the rooms you want music in when asking Siri to play. Note that grouping via Siri only works for speakers you’ve added to the Apple Home app.
“Hey Siri, play some jazz in the living room and kitchen.”